LOS ALAMITOS DENTAL IMPLANTS
WHAT EXACTLY ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Dental implants provide an effective and long-term solution to restoring a failing or missing tooth. Because they look, feel, and function like natural teeth, dental implants are the new standard in replacing missing teeth. Losing teeth and not having them replaced can lead to your jaw bone weakening and “melting away” because the bone is not being stimulated. The longer the tooth is missing the more problems are likely to occur and eventually affects the appearance when you smile. A titanium dental implant is inserted into the jawbone and fuses through a process called biointegration. Because the implant is fused securely to the jawbone, it maintains the integrity of the bone preventing the jawbone from deteriorating. Implants can last a lifetime with proper oral hygiene and helps to retain your natural face and smile.
Dental implants typically have three parts:
1) Implant: A titanium screw that serves as a root for your new tooth. This is what fuses with the jawbone.
2) Abutment: A permanent connector that supports and holds a crown.
3) Crown: This is the part of the tooth that you can see. It’s usually made of zirconium or porcelain.
You can use dental implants to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth or a full upper and/or lower set of teeth. Implants can also be used to help anchor and secure a denture to the jawbone preventing the need for denture glues and allows more efficient chewing.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
- Cost Effective: Dental implant tooth replacement can actually cost less in the long term than traditional bridgework because only one tooth is replaced rather than the three teeth needed to form a bridge. Unlike the bridge, the dental implants do not need to be replaced over time saving thousands of dollars in a life time.
- Tooth-saving: Dental implants do not sacrifice your adjacent teeth like a bridge does because neighboring teeth are not needed to help support an implant. Your own teeth are left untouched, a significant long-term benefit to your oral health.
- Comfort: Dental implants allow you to speak and eat with comfort and confidence. They offer freedom from the annoying clicks and wobbles of loose dentures. Misplaced dentures and messy adhesives are a thing of the past!
- Reliable: The success rate for dental implants is highly predictable. They are considered an excellent option for tooth replacement.
- Our dental implant patients find that dental implants restore their self-confidence and self-esteem and improve their quality of life.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF GETTING AN IMPLANT?
The process of getting implants requires a number of visits over several months.
X-rays are taken of the jaw and teeth to determine bone, gum tissue, and spacing available for an implant. After being numbed, the implant will be surgically inserted into the bone left to integrate itself with the bone for up to six months. A second appointment is made to place the abutment that will hold the artificial tooth in place. The artificial teeth are then made and fitted to the abutment. You will receive care instructions when your treatment is completed. Good oral hygiene, eating habits, and regular dental visits will help with the success of you new implant.
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment at Shanna Chirco DDS, please contact us today. Our office, conveniently located in Los Alamitos, California, looks forward to consulting with you regarding your dental implant questions, concerns and desires. Our office staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and here to help you with a smile.
The above video provides a very basic illustration of the dental implant process.